Here is a very simple recipe for steamed beets and kale with rice.
- 1 cup rice (this recipe uses long grain basmati brown rice)
- 2 cups water (2 to 1 ratio for cooking rice)
- ~1 to 2 cups chopped beets
- 1/2 bunch of kale (about 6 to 10 full leaves any kind of kale will work, this recipe uses “Red Boar Kale”)
- 2 to 4 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
This recipe is made with a rice cooker but could also be easily made with a pan and steaming basket. The basic overview is: Start cooking rice, chop beets and let them steam over the rice. When the rice is almost done add kale to steam for a few minutes. Add sesame seeds and balsamic vinegar to each serving.
Wash rice, add to pan, add water and start cooking.
Wash and chop beet(s)
Place beets in steam basket over the rice.
Wash and chop kale.
Add kale, let steam a little longer. If the rice is done before the kale is started you may need to steam it over a pot of water by itself.
Once kale is steamed serve beets and kale over rice.